In 1916 the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church was 43 years old. It was still a very young church, but it grew fast during these early years. Through the efforts of traveling preachers, traveling evangelists, and circuit riders, the C.M.E. Church was steadily gaining members starting new churches.
One of the most effective ways of starting a new church and adding members was a tent revival. Here, a preacher would go into a town and set up a tent for a church among those who were converted. This kind of tent revival took place in the summer of the early 1900’s in Hernando, Mississippi down in Huggins’ Bottom under the evangelistic efforts of Rev. Clay Henry. Rev. Henry organized a Bush Harbor which was later taken charge by Rev. Jethro Covington. Rev. Covington appointed officers, and gave the Bush Harbor the name Clay’s Chapel.
Rev. Covington was followed by Rev. Jim Shannon. In 1905, under the faithful leadership of Rev. Shannon, the members purchased an acre of land from Eddie Beachum and build a church. The name was changed from Clay’s Chapel to Beachum Chapel.
The land for Beachum Chapel Church was purchased for the total amount of $105. This was done in June 1905 with a down payment of $25. The second payment of $50 was made on August 1, 1905. The third and final payment was made January 1, 1906 in the amount of $30. The trustees who signed for it were:
Mr. Alex Beachum Mr. B. J. Boyd Mr. Oscar McClain
Mr. B. Dunigan Mr. Ben Jenkins
Full Version of Beachum Chapel CME History